Details for First Presbyterian Church of Port Lavaca

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5057001249

Data

Marker Number 1249
Atlas Number 5057001249
Marker Title First Presbyterian Church of Port Lavaca
Index Entry First Presbyterian Church of Port Lavaca
Address 1111 N. Virginia
City Port Lavaca
County Calhoun
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 731276
UTM Northing 3168542
Subject Codes churches; Presbyterian denomination
Marker Year 1998
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location 1111 N. Virginia, Port Lavaca
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Legend has it that the area's first Presbyterian church service was held in a local saloon in 1848. Eleven charter members soon began meeting with the Rev. A. Stephen F. Cocke in a warehouse also shared by the Methodist congregation and the school. A church building was erected on land purchased in 1849; the structure was destroyed in the 1886 storm. The group disbanded in 1903 and was reorganized with the Rev. M. W. Doggett in 1909. In 1956, dedication ceremonies were held for a modern facility in a new location. With a membership of 132 in 1997, the First Presbyterian Church of Port Lavaca continues to be active in worship and in community and missionary outreach. (1998)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)