Details for Aransas Pass Light Station (Atlas Number 5007000184)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5007000184

Data

Marker Number 184
Atlas Number 5007000184
Marker Title Aransas Pass Light Station
Index Entry Aransas Pass Light Station
Address off SH 361
City Port Aransas
County Aransas
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 691356
UTM Northing 3083670
Subject Codes design and construction; lighthouses; water topics
Marker Year 1973
Designations
Marker Location About 2 miles NE of E end of Port Aransas (on Harbor Island), private and only accessible by boat
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Construction of 67-foot tower was started in 1855. The French lens was lighted in 1856, to mark natural Gulf pass to Aransas and Corpus Christi Bays by way of Lydia Ann Channel -- named for the daughter of the first keeper. During Civil War, Confederates (in 1863) buried lens for safety before damaging tower to avert use of light by Federal forces. The auxiliary structures were rebuilt after 1919 hurricane. One of original Texas stations of U.S. Lighthouse Service (merged into the Coast Guard in 1939), this light was decommissioned in 1952 after pass shifted southward. (1973) INCISE ON BASE: Lighthouse not open to public. INCISE ON BACK OF MARKER: Restored in 1972 by Charles C. Butt