Details for Whalen Lake School

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5003005773

Data

Marker Number 5773
Atlas Number 5003005773
Marker Title Whalen Lake School
Index Entry Whalen Lake School
Address SH 176
City Frankel City
County Andrews
UTM Zone 13
UTM Easting 706430
UTM Northing 3583274
Subject Codes schools; communities
Marker Year 1974
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location Picnic area, N side SH 176, 1 mi. E of FM 1967.
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text (2 miles S.) One of the first schools in Andrews County, opened in 1907 near the north edge of Whalen Lake, on land donated by Mrs. M. B. Dillard. The one-room school, built by Joe and Jake Mathis, with materials purchased by Will Gates, served the children of homesteaders "proving up" their claims by living on the property 3 years. Teachers were Miss Grace Stanford, a Mr. Taylor, Miss Mary Lewis, and Earl Lontz, each remaining one year. The school closed in 1910, and the building was moved, as most of the settlers fulfilled their claim agreements and left. (1974)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)