Details for Stephens County Courthouse

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5000023686

Data

Marker Number 23686
Atlas Number 5000023686
Marker Title Stephens County Courthouse
Index Entry Stephens County Courthouse
Address 200 W. Walker St.
City Breckenridge
County Stephens
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 508943
UTM Northing 3624196
Subject Codes buildings; courthouses; design and construction; Classical Revival (architectural style); architects
Marker Year 1997
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark Yes
Marker Location Stephens County Courthouse grounds, S side, facing W. Walker St. (US 180). See also marker about 100 feet east titled Stephens County Courthouse (1975) at doorway of 1883 courthouse.
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Stephens County's first courthouse, erected in 1872, was a small pine building with desks for county officials lining the walls. In 1883, a new three-story red stone courthouse with a tower replaced the original structure. Discovery of oil in Breckenridge in the 1920s resulted in a dramatic increase in population that led to the need for a larger courthouse and jail. Voters approved a bond in June 1924 to build a new courthouse and architect David S. Castle of Abilene designed the building constructed in 1926. Although not occupied until December 1926, a grand dedication ceremony was held here on July 4, 1926. The porch and sandstone entryway from the 1883 courthouse were retained and are located on the southeast end of the square. During the depression of the 1930s, the courthouse became a financial burden and was refinanced. The last payment was made in 1962, thirty-six years after its completion. The four-story Stephens County Courthouse is a fine local example of the Classical Revival style and features limestone construction, arched entry doors and monumental primary entry stairs rising to triple-arched entry doors, with ten columns above. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)