||Vicinity of Significant Neighbors Ford Trail
||Neighbors-Ford Trail, Vicinity of Significant
||US 285, N side of Pecos
||roads; cattle, cattle industry topics
||Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
||In Roadside Park on US 285, Northern City Limits of Pecos
||18" x 28"
|| First wagon road to El Paso from Austin. Opened 1849 by Maj. Robert S. neighbors and Dr. John S. "Rip" Ford, Texas Rangers and leading statesmen. With Indian guides Jime Shaw (a Delaware) and Guadalupe (a Comanche), they left the Pecos, followed Toyah Creek to Davis Mountains, then went west to the Rio Grande.
On the return past Guadalupe Peak, Pecos River and Horsehead Crossing, rations gave out and they ate roasted mescal roots, panther and horse meat.
Their route had water and wood and became a great stage, military and emigrant road.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.