Details for Fort Stockton Guard House

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5371002021

Data

Marker Number 2021
Atlas Number 5371002021
Marker Title Fort Stockton Guard House
Index Entry Fort Stockton Guard House
Address 206 N. Rooney St.
City Fort Stockton
County Pecos
UTM Zone 13
UTM Easting 703010
UTM Northing 3419006
Subject Codes buildings; forts; military topics
Marker Year 1966
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Historic Fort Stockton, southeast of intersection of N. Rooney and E. 3rd streets
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Founded in 1859, Fort Stockton was abandoned during the Civil War and reestablished in 1867, when this guard house was built. Stone for the structure was quarried locally. The lumber was hauled from Indianola by oxcart. The guard house consisted of a room with arm and leg irons, a dungeon for solitary confinement, and quarters for guards. It was abandoned in 1886. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966.
ATLAS_NUM=5371002021

Location Map